The centre panel of this war memorial, originally located at the Luton Works of George Kent, records the names of members of the firm who lost their lives in the Great War either in the armed services or in explosions caused by the manufacture of armaments. The side panels unusually record the members of the firm who served in the armed forces and survived.
There are ten workers listed who lost their lives in explosions on April 4th 1916, January 8th 1917, February 21st 1917, March 1st 1918 and August 12th 1918. These incidents were not usually reported in the newspapers at the time to prevent damage to civilian morale.
A full list of casualties can be found here.
The memorial was donated to Luton Museums on closure of the factory and is now on display at the Stockwood Discovery Centre.