Hitchin Road Boys School memorial

Current Location

Stockwood Discovery Centre
United Kingdom



The Luton Reporter , 26th July 1921
Hitchin Road Boys' School memorial

On Saturday, July 23rd, 1921, former headmaster Capt Arthur Mander (1910-1915) unveiled the war memorial at Hitchin Road Boys' School in memory of Assistant Master George Wells MM and 79 former pupils who had lost their lives in the Great War.

The memorial panel was made by scholars at the school at the local woodwork centre and was decorated by Mr H. H. Brown. Now housed at Stockwood Discovery Centre, it measures 8ft by 3ft 6in, and has an ornamental pedestal inscribed in gold and colours on a black enamel background with the years '1914-1918' and the school monogram 'H.R.B.S.' Below that, is the inscription: “Hitchin Road Boys' School, Luton. In honoured and grateful memory of Corporal George Wells MM (Asst Master), and of the old boys of this school who fell in the First World War.”

George Wells was killed at Messines in 1917 after winning the Military Medal. The 79 old boys named with him are:

E. Anderson

J. Anderson

B. Angell

A. A. Ashton

H. G. Ayres

T. Bass

E. Brandon

A. J. Brown

T. Brown

A. Bunker

S. Cain

C. Carter

E. Clarke

B. Clarke

G. Clarke

R. Crick

E. Davis

W. Day

W. Ellingham DCM

G. C. Fensome

W. Fensome

J. Ford

A. J. Gaunt

A. Giltrow

W. Giltrow

E. L. Godbehear

P. Graham

P. Gurney

F. Gurney

A. Harris

C. Halfpenny

A. Hill

L. Hill

R. Hill

W. Hobb

W. Horwood

G. Howe

C. Hull

F. Hull

S. J. Indge

R. Kempson

A. Kirchin

F. H. Lewis

R. W. Lewin

A. W. Loney

J. Loughton

J. Mander

S. Medcalf

A. Newbury

P. Oliver

C. W. Peat

W. Pedder

F. W. Pestell

F. Priestland

P. F. Ralley

H. Read

E. Robinson

W. Shane

Harry Sharp

H. Sharp

G. Simpson

A. Smith

C. Soper

S. Strapp

H. Taylor

G. Trott

W. Waller

H. Ward

S. Watson

F. Webb

C. Wood

J. Wood

A. C. Worboys

S. C. Worboys

Three former headmasters of the school attended the unveiling. Mr J. H. Hackett was head from its opening in 1883 to 1903, Mr W. J. Eastmond succeeded him until 1910, followed by Mr Arthur Mander from 1910 to 1915, when he joined the 1/5th Bedfordshire Regiment with whom he went through the Egyptian and Palestinian campaigns. The then current headmaster, Mr F. Mander, also attended the unveiling and dedication by the Vicar of St Matthew's Church, the Rev D. A. Jaquet, a former Chaplain to the Forces.

The slideshow below includes a Luton New image of floral tributes to the fallen that were placed in front of the memorial at the unveiling, and also a photo of Hitchin Road Girls School shield winners with a memorial on the wall behind.

Object Location

Author: Deejaya

Add comment

Log in or register to post comments