Lady Ludlow presented this park in Tennyson Rd to the people of Luton on 12th June 1920 in memory of her son Alex Pigott Wernher who was killed in action in 1916. She unveiled the war memorial in the park at a ceremony on 10th December 1922 and dedicated the park now officially named Luton Hoo Memorial Park, to all the men of Luton who gave their lives in the Great War.
The images here are Copyright Thomas Nugent and licensed for reuse under a Creative Commons Licence.
The memorial inscription reads :
The site of this park was presented to the Borough of Luton by Lady Wernher Lady of the Manor of Luton in commemoration of the great victory of the Allies and as a memorial to her son, Alexander Pigott Wernher, 1st Welsh Guards killed in action 1916, and to all the other gallant men of Luton who gave their lives for their country in the Great War 1914 to 1918