Pte George Flitton, 48085, 6th Battalion Northamptonshire Regiment, was killed in action on the Somme on February 17th, 1917. He was aged 26.
Familiarly known as Jack, he lived at Slip End, one of 11 children of Thomas and Lizzie Flitton. Prior to joining up under the Derby scheme in February 1916 (he at first served with the Beds Regiment ), he had worked for dyers Messrs E. W. Hart and Sons, of Windmill Road, Luton.
Hed was trained at Landguard and then went to France. He had been in the trenches eight months and three weeks when he was killed.
Sgt William Ginger, 18144, 2nd Battalion Bedfordshire Regiment, was killed in action on the Somme on October 12th, 1916.
The father of three sons and three daughters, he had married Mary Jane Goodge in 1898 and was living in Summer Street, Slip End. The Flamstead-born soldier was a labourer working for builders T. & E. Neville, of Castle Street, Luton, before he joined up on December 7th, 1914.
Pte George Henry (Harry) Puddephatt, 40119, 4th Battalion Bedfordshire Regiment, was killed in action on the Somme on November 13th, 1916. He was aged 19.
The son of Henry and Ann Puddephatt, of Summer Street, Slip End, he worked for Messrs F. Merchant and Sons, furnishers, of Manchester Street, Luton, before enlistment. He was in training in England until three months before his death.
L-Cpl John Prime, 14102, 1st Battalion Bedfordshire Regiment, was killed in action on the Somme on July 31st, 1916. He was aged 23 and the younger son of John and Eliza Prime, of 2 Front Street, Slip End.
He joined the Bedfords in September 1914, having been employed, like his father, by builders T. & E. Neville, Castle Street, Luton. He was one of the Neville workmen who helped in the building of the Luton News building in Manchester Street that was opened in 1913.
Pte Horace Charles Day, 15086, 7th Bedfordshire Regiment, was killed in action in France on January 21st, 1916. He was aged about 21.
Born in Slip End, he was listed in the 1911 Census as a boot shop assistant living with his twice-widowed mother Sophia at Pepperstock. His parents were married in October 1892, but his father Charles died around 1899.
Little was written in the Press about Horace at the time of his death, but he is commemorated on both the Flamstead and Luton war memorials.
Pte Ewart William Clark, 82, Royal Army Medical Corps, 54th East Anglian Casualty Clearing Hospital, was lost when the troopship Royal Edward was torpedoed off the island of Kandeloussa in the Aegean Sea by German submarine UB-14 on August 13th, 1915.
The son of Daniel and Emma Jane Clark, of 7 Park Road West [now Strathmore Avenue], Luton, he joined the RAMC the previous April. He was aged 17 and lived in Summer Street, Slip End, as a child.
Rifleman James Burgess, 11650, 4th King's Royal Rifle Corps, died on March 10th, 1915, from wounds sustained in the trenches near Givenchy earlier that day.
His mother Sarah Ann at 63 Chobham Street, Luton, did not receive official War Office confirmation until July 1915, but had been informed unofficially in a letter from Rifleman F. Featherstone some weeks earlier.
John Percy Wood, one of sixteen children, from Slip End, nr. Luton enlisted as a volunteer aged 18 and joined Lord Kitcheners Army on the 26th May 1915 at Luton, he was assigned Army number 2219, he undertook a medical examination, to test his fitness for active service, at Wardown Park Hospital and was judged as good.
He was assigned to the 2nd/5th Staffordshire Royal Field Artillery Battery, 2/3rd North Midland Artillery Brigade, he undertook his training at Biscot Huts, an Army Camp near to Biscot Mill, Luton.