Private William Jackson

Rank or Title

Date of Birth


Date of Death

7 Aug 1917

War time / or Pre War occupation

Straw hat blocker


Mr W. A. Sharp, Victoria Street, Luton

Service Number


Place of Birth

United Kingdom

World War I Address

27 Waldeck Road
United Kingdom

Place of Death


Grave Location


War Memorial Location

Soldier or Civilian

  • Soldier


The Luton News , 25th October 1917
Pte William Jackson

Pte William Jackson, 238023, 12th Battalion Middlesex Regiment, was reported wounded and missing in Flanders on August 7th, 1917, and later presumed dead on that date. He was aged 29, married and had one child.

Widow Maud first received official news from the War Office in September 1917 that her husband was wounded. A month later she learned he was missing, but he was still included on Luton's 1918 absent voters' list with an address at 78 Frederic Street.

William Jackson was born in Limbury, the son of William and Anne, of 17 Marsh Road, Leagrave, the address given as Pte Jackson's home on enlistment.

William married Maud Bent on September 4th, 1909. When William was reported wounded in September 1917, Maud was living at 27 Waldeck Road, Luton. A month later, when he was listed as missing, she was living at 78 Frederic Street, Luton, with their only child, Doris (born 1914).

William had enlisted in the Essex Regiment (202649) in March 1916 and was drafted to the Front the following June. He had transferred to the Middlesex Regiment by the time of his death.

Prior to joining up he was employed as a blocker by straw hat manufacturer Mr W. A. Sharp, of Victoria Street, Luton.

Maud remarried in 1919.

Individual Location

Pte William Jackson

Author: Deejaya

Related items

Add comment

Log in or register to post comments


Grave Location

Buried in Birr Cross Roads Cemetery Ypres (Ieper), Arrondissement Ieper, West Flanders (West-Vlaanderen), Belgium PLOT III. E. 11.

Grave Location

William Jackson was originally buried in a field grave a few hundred yards from Birr Cross Roads Cemetery. He was subsequently relocated to Birr Cross Roads Cemetery in 1919.