Lance Corporal Arthur Thomas Highton

Rank or Title

Date of Birth


Date of Death

10 Nov 1915

War time / or Pre War occupation

Straw plait worker


Me Haye, George Street

Service Number


Place of Birth

United Kingdom

World War I Address

Orlingbury, Havelock Road
United Kingdom

Place of Death

University War Hospital
United Kingdom

Grave Location

General Cemetery
Rothesay Road
United Kingdom

War Memorial Location

Soldier or Civilian

  • Soldier


The Luton News/Saturday Telegraph , 13th November 1915
L-Cpl Arthur Thomas Highton


L-Cpl Arthur Thomas Highton, 3874, 1/5th Bedfords, died in the University War Hospital, Southampton, on November 10th, 1915, after suffering from dysentery at Gallipoli. He was aged 18.

The only son of cabinet maker Frederick George Highton and wife Annie (nee Harris), of Orlingbury, Havelock Road, Luton, he enlisted in the 1/5th Beds Regiment soon after the outbreak of war. He served in the Signals Section under Lieut F. W. Ballance (from Dunstable), and while in Gallipoli won his first stripe.

He escaped wounds, only to be sent to hospital at Alexandria with dysentery. Official notification was received by his parents to that effect, followed by a letter from their son saying he was getting on well and thought he would soon be back in England. A subsequent letter said he was dangerously ill at Southampton, followed by the news that he had died in hospital there.

Lieut Ballance wrote to Mr and Mrs Highton enquiring after their son. He wrote: "He was my servant. On August 15th, in the great fight, he helped me back from the firing line to the hospital. If it had not been for him I do now know how I should have fared. The heat was tremendous, and I was not a small weight to carry, but he got me along in a wonderful way. I should be glad to know where he is."

L-Cpl Highton had been employed by George Street plait merchant Mr Haye, and had been a member of the North Street Wesleyan Choir and King Street Pleasant Sunday Afternoon.

His body was brought to Luton on November 12th prior to burial at the General Cemetery on Tuesday, November 16th. There was a long procession from Havelock Road to the cemetery with bearers all belonging to the 1/5th Bedfords who had returned from the Dardanelles. A firing party from the Duke of Bedford's Training Depot at Ampthill preceded the hearse, and the band of the 2nd Bedford Regiment stationed at Bedford played the funeral marches on the way to the cemetery.

The Last Post was sounded at the graveside, and on the coffin covered with a Union Jack was also the helmet which L-Cpl Highton wore at Gallipoli. A large number of men from the Eastern Mounted Brigade Field Ambulance and the East Anglian Royal Engineers accompanied the mourners.

The service in the cemetery chapel and at the graveside was conducted by the Rev A. E. Wolton and the Rev E. B. Mahon.


Individual Location

Author: Deejaya

Related items

Add comment

Log in or register to post comments