Private Frank Boutwood

Rank or Title

Date of Birth


Date of Death

23 Oct 1915

Media files and documents

War time / or Pre War occupation

Hat factory employee


A. & F. Higgins, Bute Street, Luton

Service Number


Place of Birth

United Kingdom

World War I Address

36 Naseby Road
United Kingdom

Place of Death

5th Southern General Hospital
United Kingdom

Grave Location

Luton General Cemetery
United Kingdom

War Memorial Location

Soldier or Civilian

  • Soldier


The Luton Reporter , 1st November 1915
Pte Frank Boutwood


Pte Frank Boutwood, 4626, B Company, 1/5th Battalion Bedfordshire Regiment, died in the 5th Southern General Hospital at Portsmouth on October 23rd, 1915, from complications arising from dysentery contracted in Gallipoli. He was aged 34.

His death meant that Luton had its first experience a funeral of one of its Territorials who had been on active service with the 1/5th Bedfords in Gallipoli. He had been invalided home about a month before his death suffering from dysentery, but complications set in and he passed peacefully away in the presence of his relatives.

Pte Boutwood lived at 36 Naseby Road, Luton, and left a widow, Grace, and three children - Edward, Frank and Maggie. For many years he had been manager of the wire department of hat manufacturers Messrs J. J. Haye and Co, of George Street, but at the time of his enlistment he worked for Messrs A. and F. Higgins, Bute Street.

He was an old Territorial and re-enlisted in his old battalion soon after war broke out. Just before he passed away he remarked several times to his relatives, "I have done my bit," which seemed to afford him satisfaction, said a newspaper report.

Pte Boutwood's body was brought home to Luton for burial on October 28th, and a large crowd gathered in pouring rain along the route from his home in Naseby Road to the General Cemetery. Full military honours were accorded the deceased. The Union Jack-draped coffin bore his Eastern pith helmet and belt as well as a profusion of floral tributes.

On the arrival of the cortege at the cemetery, the coffin was borne to the graveside by members of the 1/5th Bedfords, two of whom, L-Cpls Harry Dolby and Arthur Fox, who were serving with Pte Boutwood in Gallipoli and were now engaged in recruiting work in Luton while convalescing from their wounds. The other bearers were Ptes Bateman, Nottage, Simmonds and Simons.

The procession, which was of considerable length, was headed by the band of the 2nd Battalion Beds Regiment, under Sgt-Major Taylor and Band-Sgt Egan. The hearse containing the coffin was preceded by a firing party from the Duke of Bedford's training depot at Ampthill, and following the mourning coaches were detachments of the 3/2nd East Anglian Field Company R.E., and also the 3/1 Eastern Mounted Brigade Field Ambulance R.A.M.C., under the command of Capt Lamberton.

At the cemetery the burial service was conducted by the Rev E. C. Whitworth, assistant priest at Christ Church, and after the coffin had been lowered into the grave three volleys were fired by the firing party, and four buglers of the 2nd Bedfords sounded the Last Post.

Pte Boutwood was the fourth son of late hat manufacturer William Boutwood, of Hilldene, Hart Hill, Luton, who died in 1911, aged 72. Mrs Martha Boutwood had died four years previously, aged 68.

He was born in the summer of 1881 and married Stotfold-born Grace Norton in 1905. Grace had moved to Stanley Street, Luton, with her widowed mother and family following the death of her father in 1884. Frank and Grace and their three children lived at 63 Dumfries Street, Luton, before moving to Naseby Road.


Author: Deejaya

Add comment

Log in or register to post comments