The war memorial that stood at Chapel Street Wesleyan Methodist Church, as photographed by Frederick Thurston. It was unveiled by the Rev A. Stanley Bishop, a former minister of the circuit, on September 22nd, 1920.
The memorial stood 6ft 6in high and was 4ft 6in wide and was placed in a recess between the two main doorways facing Chapel Street. It consisted of an altar stone supporting a main panel with richly carved pilasters on either side, carrying an entablature and pediment.
The altar stones and surrounds of the panel were in Portland stone and the centre panel, on which the names of the fallen were inscribed, was in Hopton Wood stone with an inlaid marble border. It was the work of Luton's Low Giddings from the designs of architects Franklin and Deacon.
The inscription on the memorial read: “To the glory of God and in grateful and honoured memory of the brave sons of this church who fell in the Great War.”
Names on the memorial were: Raymond Eric Deacon, Harold Thomas Anderson, Horace Bates, William Bowles, Eric W. Squires, Sydney C. Squires, Arthur Smith, George Shackleton, Eric Thomas William Sutton, Frederick Stevens, Sydney East, Ewart Alfred Mouse, Aubrey Stanbridge, Ernest Prebble, Stanley Warner, Jesse Smith, Ronald William Tearle, Horace Hudson, Frank Gilder, Frank Parker and Percy Frank Linger.
The inscription at the bottom was from a Rupert Brooke poem:
These laid the world away;
Poured out the red sweet wine of youth;
Gave up the years to be of work and joy,
And that unhoped serene that men shall age.
[The slideshow below includes a 1952 street scene by Luton News photographer Reg Cooper indicating the location of the memorial.]