Luton Conservative Club War Memorial

Current Location

United Kingdom



The Luton Reporter , 9th May 1922
Luton Conservative Club 1967

A war memorial at Luton Conservative and Unionist Club, Market Hill, was unveiled on May 3rd, 1922, by the Duke of Bedford. It had cost 66 guineas and contained the names of 27 members who had given their lives during World War One.

The memorial was on the wall of the main hall at the foot of a staircase. It was fashioned in English oak with richly carved panels on either side of a representative of a rose, shamrock and thistle, with a centre panel of repousse bronze copper.

The inscription on the memorial read: “In grateful and honoured memory of the members of Luton Conservative and Unionist Club who fell in the great war 1914-1918.

A. Allen

L. Anderson

A. Arnold

G. Bone

B. C. Cumberland

A. Fensome

W. Gentle

E. A. Grace

L. V. Hayward

J. H. Healey

T. W. Inns

J. Jenkins

A. Page

C. E. Pratt

W. J. Procter

E. D. Rattle

C. C. Robinson

P. E. Rickard

C. S. T. Short

W. Smith

G. Stanbridge

E. S. Strachan

R. G. Veasey

W. J. Wells

R. W. Wilkins

E. Wright

H. Wright

They died that we might live.”

The dedication of the memorial was performed by the Rev Philip Hyne, Vicar of Woodside, and the Last Post was sounded by Mr H. Carter.

The club's roll of honour included the names of 246 other members who had served with the forces during the war.

[The Luton Reporter: May 9th, 1922]

Author: Deejaya

Add comment

Log in or register to post comments