2nd Battalion Royal Sussex Regiment

Private Reginald Barton

Pte Reginald Barton, 14510, 2nd Battalion Royal Sussex Regiment, was killed in action in France on September 24th, 1918. He was aged 20.

Born in Luton in June 1898, Reg was a son of Edward and Charlotte Barton, of 18 Brache Street. He had joined up in 1914 at the age of 16 and even went out to the trenches, but was sent home because of his age.

Elder brother Bert was the first notified casualty of the 1/5th Bedfords received from Suvla Bay during the Gallipoli Campaign of 1915, and brother-in-law Edward Anderson also met his death there.

Private Richard John Frederick Comporo

Pte Richard John Frederick Comporo, G/14521, 2nd Battalion Royal Sussex Regiment, was killed in action in Flanders on November 23rd, 1917. He was aged 19.

He had joined up on the declaration of war and was soon drafted out to France. Owing to a regulation that men could not serve at the Front until 19, he returned home before going back to France five months before his death.

Pte Comporo is included under that name on the Luton Roll of Honour, although his parents' name was Pearman. His home address was 7 Windsor Street, Luton.

Private Ernest Samuel Brandom


Pte Ernest Brandom, G/14511, 2nd Battalion Royal Sussex Regiment, was killed in action on the Somme on September 9th, 1916. He was aged 20.

He joined up soon after war broke out and left for the Front just a couple of months before his death. Parents Frederick George and Sarah Ann Brandom lived at 38 Duke Street, Luton.

At the time of the 1911 Census, 15-year-old Ernest was described as a grocer's assistant.

Lance Corporal Joshua Dyer


L-Cpl Joshua Dyer, G/14527, 2nd Battalion Royal Sussex Regiment, died in Netley Hospital, near Southampton, on September 22nd, 1916, after being severely wounded on the Western Front. He had transferred from the Bedfordshire Regiment.

The 19-year-old son of Frederick Henry and Mary Jane Dyer, of the White House, Pepperstock, had been lying wounded in the back by a shell on the battlefield a day and a night before a compassionate Scotsman got him into a dressing station. He was transferred to Netley, where he died three days later.

Subscribe to RSS - 2nd Battalion Royal Sussex Regiment